Remember to update UC about your rent changes

News – 1 April 2021

If you receive Universal Credit (UC), you need to let them know about your rent changing this month. It’s your responsibility as the claimant to do this and if you don’t, you might miss out on benefits you’re entitled to!

If your rent is charged monthly, you should tell them from today – 1 April. If your rent is charged weekly, you need to report the change from next Monday, 5 April.

Please try to report these changes as soon as possible, preferably on the days above.

To report it online, log in to your UC account, and click:

  • your home tab
  • report a change of circumstances
  • housing costs

Here you can re-enter your rent details, confirming the date they are changing from. Alternatively, you can call the UC help line on 0800 328 5644.