Voluntary Right to Buy

What is it and do you qualify?

Do you qualify for VRtB?

Please answer the following questions:

  • Have you been allocated a Unique Reference Number (URN) from the Government’s Right to Buy website?
  • Have you held a social or affordable housing tenancy for at least the last three years (this does not have to have been with the same landlord or a single continuous tenancy)?
  • Have you resided in your current property for at least the last 12 months?
  • Is your current property your main home?
  • Do you have the right to reside in the UK?
  • Is your rent account clear of any arrears?

If you have answered YES to ALL of the above questions, AND you have no court possession orders against your tenancy; are not an undischarged bankrupt; do not have any bankruptcy petition pending against you or any unsatisfied arrangements with creditors, you MAY be eligible to purchase your property under the Voluntary Right to Buy Midlands pilot scheme.

To process your application, along with the information requested on the application form we also require the following as forms of identification:

  • Copy of passport OR
  • Copy of photo card driving licence


  • ONE copy of proof of address i.e. council tax bill, utility bill, confirmation of place on electoral register, bank statement.

Please note we will not accept any other forms of identification.

If another member of the family is exercising the Voluntary Right to Buy with you, we will also require the above identification as well as proof of residency at your address for a minimum of 12 months.

Acceptable proof of residency would be confirmation the family member is on the electoral role for your address, or a copy of bank statements, one current and one from 12 months ago. If you need clarification, please telephone the sales team on 01525 844460 for advice.

 Voluntary Right to Buy Application Form 

Please complete the application form above (along with all supporting documents) and return to:

Sales Team, Grand Union Housing Group, Derwent House, Cranfield Technology Park, University Way, Cranfield, Bedfordshire, MK43 0AZ.

Alternatively you can complete and email the form to vrtb@guhg.co.uk.

Please note that should you choose to send your application form via email, we cannot guarantee you personal information.