Volunteering is commonly defined by NCVO as:
“Any activity that involves spending time, unpaid, doing something that aims to benefit the environment or someone (individuals or groups) other than, or in addition to, close relatives.”
We recognise that through having a well manged volunteer programme we can deliver many benefits:
- Volunteers can improve the quality of the services we offer; most simply by increasing the time we can spend helping individuals and groups.
- Where people feel lonely, isolated, and confused the time taken to help them to engage in activities can help can have a positive impact.
- Volunteers contribute to the development of services by bringing motivation, skills, experience and creativity.
- Volunteers help contribute to the diversity and life-experiences of our organisation.
- The fact that someone is prepared to help on a voluntary basis can be very powerful and mean a lot to the people we support.
We also believe that volunteering should be mutually beneficial. While people may choose to volunteer for a variety of reasons some of the benefits may include:
- Making a real difference to the lives of others
- Giving something back to an organisation or cause
- Socialising, meeting new people and making new friends
- Improving personal confidence and self-esteem
- Feeling valued as part of a team
- Learning more about the local community
- Using own skills and experience
- Gaining additional skills and experience, possibly to help with future employment
- Taking a break from own busy life.
Other ways to get involved
We're developing a new and interactive way to give us feedback at any time and in a way to suit you through our online acount system https://my.guhg.co.uk, you will need to be registered on my.guhg to take part in surveys
As we develop this, we will have a range of ways you can engage with us, including:
- surveys (completed on my.guhg)
- focus groups
- local engagement events
- quick polls.
We will also promote other involvement options, such as training courses or volunteering opportunities.
This means we can gather more feedback about the services we provide and ensure they are as customer focused as possible, as well as ensuring we have a representative range of views given to us.
We'll regularly ask for your views through surveys so we can gather feedback on our services. We'll then update you with the results we receive.