Domestic abuse and safeguarding

We are proud to be supporters of the Make A Stand Campaign
Emergency close window
  • If you're in immediate danger, please call 999 and ask for the Police, even if you can only whisper. You may be asked to cough or tap the keys on your phone to answer questions.
  • If you can't speak, press 55 when prompted and your call will be transferred to the Police. This only works on mobile phones and does not allow the Police to track your location.
  • If you call 999 from a landline and you can't speak, your call will be transferred to the Police. Calling from a landline will automatically give the police information about your location.
  • Or call the Domestic Abuse 24 hour support helpline on 0808 2000 247.
  • If you're deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, you can register your mobile phone with the emergency SMS service. You'll then be able to send an SMS text message to 999 to get help.

Emergency close window

How we can help

Grand Union takes domestic abuse extremely seriously and has implemented a dedicated domestic abuse policy. If you get in touch with us about domestic abuse, we'll listen to you, believe you and contact you only when and how it's best for you. We'll treat what you tell us in confidence. A home should provide safety and security but, for many people home is anything but safe. With your permission, we will help you find specialist support and look to improve the security of your home. We can undertake a range of measures to help you feel safer in your home, such as fitting external lighting and/or adding additional door locks and security chains. If you do wish to leave, we can discuss your housing options and support you through this.

We can also support you to take action against your abuser, if you want to. The National Domestic Abuse Helpline website has very good information that applies to anyone in any area about what to do in an emergency.

Self referral
Professionals referral


Safeguarding is everybody’s business. Our Safeguarding Policy ensures all colleagues understand how to protect adults and children who are experiencing, or are at risk of, abuse or neglect to self or others.

Our Domestic Abuse & Safeguarding team oversee concerns for safeguarding. They take steps towards preventing or stopping the abuse. This includes referring to local authorities who lead and co-ordinate the response to concerns. They also have a duty to promote wellbeing, including within local communities.

If you believe a child, young person or adult, including someone who is vulnerable, is being harmed or is at serious risk of harm, please contact the police immediately on 999. Please ensure you are safe to do this first.

If you’re concerned about a child or adult’s welfare, or how they’re being treated, but don’t think it’s an emergency, contact your local adults’ or children’s safeguarding team to discuss your concerns and get advice.

For concerns about adults, contact the local authority’s Adult Social Care Team -

For concerns about children, contact the local authority Children’s Social Care team. Details below.

Local authority

Contact number

Out of hours number

Email address

Bedford Borough Council

01234 718700

0300 300 8123

Online form or telephone only

Central Bedfordshire Council

0300 300 8585

0300 300 8123

Luton Borough Council

01582 547653

0300 300 8123

Milton Keynes City Council

01908 253169/
01908 253170

01908 265545

North Northants Council (Kettering, Corby, East Northants, Wellingborough)

0300 126 7000

01605 626938

South Cambridgeshire District Council

0345 045 5203

01733 234724

West Northants Council (Daventry, Northampton, South Northants)

0300 126 7000

01604 626938

Report a concern to Grand Union

Call: 0300 123 5544

For you, complete our Self referral form.

If you’re a professional supporting a Grand Union customer and would like us to help, the referral form can be found here.

Emergency close window