Need help paying
your rent?

If you think you may struggle to pay your rent, please get in touch with us as soon as possible. We have a dedicated Payment Support team who will provide you with help, support and guidance.

You can contact them via My.GUHG, or you can call us on 0300 123 5544 to be put through to the team.

Additional help and support 

We understand that if you are worried about paying your rent you may need help and advice about paying bills and managing finances. You can find out more information about the support available to you below.

Financial difficulty 

We have a dedicated Financial Wellbeing team. Please tell us straight away if you are experiencing problems paying your rent. You can also find advice and support about welfare benefits, money and debt.

Universal credit 

We have a dedicated page for Universal Credit, with all the information you will need, including how to apply.

Council tax support 

Some customers may be eligible for support in paying their council tax. You can find your council below and the link for information on how to apply.

If you are already claiming but your income has changed, you will need let your council know there has been a change of circumstances so they can re-assess your claim. 

You can find out who your local council is here:

Bedford Borough
Central Bedfordshire
Cherwell District Council
Luton Borough
Milton Keynes
South Cambridgeshire
West Northamptonshire Council
Northamptonshire Council

Gas and electric

Rising energy costs is a worry for many. The government has announced a £299 Cost of living payment due by Spring 2024. This is to support those on low income benefits and tax credits.


Anglian water has published advice on extra support should you have difficulty paying your water bills. Many people on benefits or a low income may qualify for discounted tariffs. If you’ve had a water leak and are on a water meter, you may also be able to get a leakage allowance to refund or reduce some of your bill.