Useful information about parking and what to do if you have issues with parking

Parking issues

If the way someone has parked is causing issues, please speak to them first. They may not know their parking is causing a problem.

If your issue is with how a commercial vehicle’s parked, please contact with the company it belongs to. You could they ask them to speak with their driver to resolve the issue. 

If the problem continues then you can take the following actions:

  • Contact your local authority if it’s on a public verge or highway. They might be able to help if it’s parked in a way that goes against local parking regulations. They may issue a Penalty Charge notice.
  • Contact the Police if it needs to be removed immediately. They will arrange this if they deem it necessary.

Grand Union cannot intervene in parking disputes. However, we arrange independent mediation if both you and your neighbour agree. This may help you sort out your differences. Please contact us if you are interested in this.

If you have an issue with an abandoned vehicle, you can find out more in our ASB toolkit: 

Shared spaces

Shared parking cannot be reserved or allocated to people. These spaces cannot be used to park the following vehicles:

  • caravans
  • motor homes
  • boats
  • trailers
  • heavy goods vehicles
  • buses
  • minibuses
  • those with a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN).

Parking on your garden

If you would like to park a vehicle on your garden, you will need:

  • written permission from Grand Union
  • a proper hardstanding
  • a verge crossing 
  • a dropped kerb.
  • planning permission may also be needed.

If we give permission for this, you’ll need to comply with the following:

  • All vehicles parked need to be in a roadworthy condition, licensed and insured at all times.
  • Vehicles should be parked at the side of your home and behind the building line where possible.
  • A properly constructed hardstanding must be built. This should be a concrete or paved base. It will be up to you to pay for the building of it and to maintain it. It also needs to be placed so it avoids things like drains and sewers.
  • If your hardstanding is built over a drain, you must make sure there is proper access to those drains. Our Prop can help with this.
  • An opening to the front boundary and crossing of the verge or footpath need creating. These have to be done to our satisfaction and the Council’s. It will be up to you to pay for these.
  • If the new access will be on to a classified road, you will need to get planning permission.
  • We will not usually grant permission if you plan to use it for parking things like caravans, motor homes, boats, heavy goods vehicle or minibuses.
  • It doesn’t cause nuisance or annoyance to your neighbours.