Mutual Exchange


What is mutual exchange?

Mutual exchange enables customers to swap their home with another Grand Union customer or a customer of any other housing association or council. This can be a great way of finding a more suitable home, either locally or away from the area.

How do I find a mutual exchange?

One way of finding another customer to swap with could be via a mutual exchange website. The Homeswapper website is free to use for Grand Union customers and it holds details of tenants from all over the country looking to swap their property.

Please note that some mutual exchange websites charge to view and advertise properties.

If you are a Grand Union customer and exchange into another Grand Union property which has fewer bedrooms than your current home, you may be entitled to a Fresh Start payment of £1,500. To find out more click here.

I have found another customer to swap properties with.

Please view our page on Mutual Exchange, Next Steps.

Grand Union customers can contact our Relocations team if you have any queries about this.  For example the type of tenancy you currently have, when your tenancy started and what type of rent you pay. 

You may also wish to seek independent advice before deciding whether to move by mutual exchange.  For example from Citizens Advice or a housing law centre.

If you are thinking of a mutual exchange, below are some questions to consider: