Finding a home

We pride ourselves on the services we offer; not only do we manage 12,000 social housing tenancies, we also offer different types of homes to rent or buy.


Social housing rents are lower than those in the private sector. We work with our partners to advertise our available properties.

Buying a Home

Many people think that home ownership is beyond their reach but there are a number of Low Cost Home Ownership (LCHO) schemes designed to help you buy a home of your own. These schemes make buying a home an affordable option as you need a smaller mortgage and a smaller deposit. In many cases it can be cheaper than renting a home privately.

  • Find out more about our shared ownership or market rent properties we have available from our Grand Union Living website.

Mutual Exchange

Mutual exchange enables social housing customers to swap their home with a Grand Union customer or a customer of any other housing association or council. This can be a great way of finding a more suitable home, either locally or away from the area.

The Homeswapper website is free to use for Grand Union customers and they hold details of tenants from all over the country looking to swap their property.
Some mutual exchange websites charge to view and advertise properties, so make sure you check when applying.

If you have already found another customer to swap properties, please view our page on Mutual Exchange, Next Steps.

Independent Living

Traditionally retirement housing has been seen as no more than blocks of flats or groups of properties with a home support officer providing support to customers, regardless of what the individual wants or needs. Our vision is to provide choice to our customers through a needs-led service that delivers support tailored to the individual. We aim to work flexibly to meet the changing circumstances of our customers. Find out more in our Independent Living section.

Extra Care

Accommodation for older people who require some personal care support but still wish to live independently rather than consider residential care or nursing care.

Supported Living

We provide high-quality, specialist housing services for adults with learning disabilities who need support; this service can meet each person’s individual needs, often in partnership with others.

Domestic Violence Refuge

Accommodation for people fleeing from domestic abuse. These are generally for women and children, although there are a few refuges for men around the country. The accommodation can vary from shared houses to self-contained units. More information regarding domestic violence.

Emergency Accommodation

If you are going to be homeless immediately or within the next 28 days you need to contact your Local Council and tell them you need to apply as homeless.