Claiming Universal Credit voluntarily

News – 18 August 2021

The Government is currently encouraging claimants to claim Universal Credit (UC) voluntarily.

If you are thinking of claiming UC when you are already getting any of the benefits it replaces:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits

you should seek advice from us or another benefits advice agency such as Citizens Advice to make sure you won’t be worse off.

You should also seek advice if you are using the childcare voucher or tax-free childcare schemes, as you cannot use these and claim UC at the same time.

If you will be worse off, then you should wait until the DWP tell you in writing that you must claim UC (we’re expecting this to happen next year), as at this point you should be eligible for ‘transactional protection’ so you’re not worse off.

If you’re concerned about your benefits, remember our Financial Wellbeing team can help with free and confidential advice. Give us a call on 0300 123 5544 or email