Domestic abuse

  • If you’re in immediate danger, please call 999 and ask for the Police, even if you can only whisper. You may be asked to cough or tap the keys on your phone to answer questions.
  • If you can’t speak, press 55 when prompted and your call will be transferred to the Police. This only works on mobile phones and does not allow the Police to track your location.
  • If you call 999 from a landline and you can’t speak, your call will be transferred to the Police. Calling from a landline will automatically give the police information about your location.
  • Or call the Domestic Abuse 24 hour support helpline on 0808 2000 247.
  • If you’re deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, you can register your mobile phone with the emergency SMS service. You’ll then be able to send an SMS text message to 999 to get help.

There’s more advice and information here, including how we can help.

The National Domestic Abuse Helpline website also has very good information that applies to anyone in any area about what to do in an emergency.