What should I do if I receive Universal Credit (UC)?

It is your responsibility to make sure that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is aware of any change in your service charges to enable them to adjust your benefit accordingly. You need to update your online account with your new rent and service charges within the first 14 days of the new financial year beginning 1 April.

To do this, log in to your UC online account and in ‘where you live and what it costs’ input the new rent figures given to you in your letter. Then check your journal to confirm that it shows that you have done this.

If you do not do this, you risk receiving an incorrect payment and falling behind on your rent.