Drug use and dealing

Return to the ASB Toolkit

Drug use and dealing

Drug use and drug dealing is a criminal offence. You need to report it to the police.

Whilst we obviously want to tackle nuisance behaviour, we do not have the power to respond to criminal activity. This includes personal drug use, such as cannabis, in their home.

We will only be able to take action if the person responsible is our customer and they're convicted of the crime in the area they live.

You can find out more about drug use and dealing at: crimestoppers-uk.org/


This is criminal behaviour.

This is when criminals exploit a vulnerable person, so that the property can be used for illicit purposes, often drug dealing.

These properties may be referred to as ‘trap houses’ or ‘safe houses.’ They’re usually used for short periods of time before criminals move elsewhere. During this time the person may experience intimidation, violence and abuse.

Cuckooing often takes place in multi-occupancy or social housing properties, but can happen anywhere.

The following signs could be an indication of cuckooing:

  • an increase in the number of coming and goings
  • new vehicles outside the property, or frequent use of taxis or hire cars
  • increase in antisocial behaviour in and around the property
  • disengagement with support services
  • new unidentified persons in the property
  • sparse furnishings / possessions
  • the property falling into disrepair
  • communal doors being propped open.

Cuckooing is a criminal offence and you need to report it to the police immediately by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency. You don’t have to give your name when reporting an incident to the police, but please provide us with the crime reference number when you report it to us.

If you don’t want to speak to the police directly, you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 (no personal details are taken, information is not traced or recorded and you won’t be required to go to court) or contact your local authority’s adult Safeguarding Team.

If you’re concerned for the safety of an adult, young person or child, please visit www.guhg.co.uk/support/ to find out more information.

To find out more about the impact of county lines and cuckooing, and how Grand Union is trying to help fight this problem, please watch our video in this news article.