Fire safety in the home
Test your smoke alarms monthly. Last year over 200 people died in fires in the home. You’re at least four times more likely to die in a fire in the home if there’s no working smoke alarm.
If you have recently had your property rewired by Grand Union your smoke and/or heat alarms will be manufactured by Aico. User instructions for these products can be downloaded from the Aico website – download instructions. Grand Union install the 160RC series of alarms; the lithium battery in this product does not require replacing.
If your smoke alarm is not manufactured by Aico, please ensure you are familiar with how to test the alarm and change the batteries frequently if required.
When you test your smoke alarms, you could test the smoke alarms of an older family member, neighbour or friend who needs help.
It only takes a moment to test and gives your family and people you care about a better chance of surviving a fire.
Fire safety information
Download tips on fire safety in the home and at work.
Find out how to keep you and your family safe from fire indoors and outside your home with the our fire safety advice leaflets.
In the home
As a landlord we must fit at least one smoke alarm on each floor of the properties you rent. We must also fit a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a solid fuel burner (eg a wood or coal burning fireplace).
We must test every alarm at the start of a new tenancy.
Items to be removed from communal areas
All the communal areas of residential blocks, including hallways, stairs and shared balconies, are the responsibility of Grand Union Housing Group. We have a legal obligation to ensure that these areas remain safe to use and free from items that may cause or contribute to a fire.
Our staff and contractors visit our housing schemes on a regular basis and, where they find items stored or left in communal areas, they will try to identify the owner and request that they are removed immediately. If the items are not removed by the owner (or the owner cannot be identified) then arrangements will be made for the items to be removed. This will apply to all items even if it is likely that they are needed and are in constant use. This is because health and safety is absolutely paramount.
If the resident that owns the item(s) is identified we will charge him or her for all removal costs. If the owner of the item(s) is not identified then costs will be payable by all residents equally via their service charges.
We do understand that storage space is limited, especially for residents that live in small flats. However for the safety of everyone it is vital that you keep all your personal belongings inside your home.