Gas, Carbon Monoxide or other leaks


If you smell gas, or suspect a gas escape or carbon monoxide leakage, you should immediately do the following:

  • Check if the pilot light on a cooker, gas heater or boiler has gone out and extinguish all naked flames
  • Turn off the gas lever at the mains, which is next to your gas meter, by pulling the lever down
  • Open all doors and windows to let in plenty of fresh air
  • Do not touch switches on any lights or other electrical switches
  • Do not light any matches, Lighters or smoke in the house
  • Get everyone out of the house and stay out
  • If you need to make a call from a mobile phone – go outside the property first
  • Call the 24 hour emergency helpline of National Grid (Formally Transco Gas) on Freephone 0800 111 999 to report the problem. They will send out an engineer to your home within the hour and make it safe. They will not carry out repairs.
  • You must telephone Bridge Heating on Freephone 0800 177 7003 to report the problem and they will send out their own engineer to rectify the defect causing the problem.

Carbon monoxide detectors

We only install Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors where there is an open flued appliance, e.g. fire, or where there is a boiler located in a bedroom, as required by the Gas Safety Regulations. All new build properties will have a CO alarm installed as standard but the current regulations for social housing do not make it law to install a CO alarm to an existing property where the heating appliance doesn’t require one. For any concerns or issues then please call us on 0300 123 5544 and ask to speak to our Property Compliance team.

The Department for Communities and Local Government’s regulations for social landlords can be found here.

You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • Your appliance is poorly installed
  • Your appliance is not working properly
  • Your appliance has not been checked for safety or maintained regularly
  • You allow a non-Gas Safe Registered engineer to install or maintain your gas appliances
  • There is not enough fresh air in the room where open flued appliances are fitted
  • Your chimney or flue gets blocked up.

Remember: We want you to be safe in your own home. If you are unsure whether your gas central heating is safe to use, or if you would like advice on the above, contact our Customer Contact team and ask to speak to one of the Property Compliance team.