Benefits are changing and this could affect you

Welfare Benefits Advisor, Stuart, at work on his laptop

If you’re under pension age and claim any of the benefits listed below, you are likely to receive a letter called a ‘Managed Migration Notice’ from the DWP soon, or you may have received one already, telling you to claim Universal Credit (UC):

  • Housing Benefit
  • Tax Credits
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (Income-Based)
  • Income Support

Please note: People claiming Housing Benefit with Employment and Support Allowance (income-related) but not Tax Credits are not expected to receive a letter until next year.)

Once you get this notice letter, you will have three months to claim UC, after which any benefits in the list above will stop.

Important – Once the claim has been made, UC is normally paid monthly and includes the help towards your rent, these are paid directly to you rather than us, you will then be responsible for paying the rent to Grand Union. Claims are normally made and managed online and you need a bank account to receive payment. Some people should be better off on UC but others could be worse off.

Please note: There is ‘transitional protection’ to stop you being worse off, but you must claim UC by the date given to you to get the protection. If you believe you may struggle to manage the switch to monthly payments you can ask UC for an advance to help see you through the first month. (Note an advance is a payment you have to pay back by deduction from benefit over up to 24 months, so only ask for as much as you need.)

If you need support or advice, our dedicated Welfare Benefits Advisors are here to help. Either call 0300 123 5544 or email [email protected] to get in touch.

Our team can help to answer any queries, help you with the claim process, including advocating for a phone-based claim if you have no way to access the Internet and checking your entitlement and transitional protection is correct.