Our home improvement plan.
Ensuring that our properties are in good order is one of our long term objectives and is a key part of the ongoing 30 year major works improvement plan.
This makes sure all our customers have a home to live in which meets what is known as the Decent Homes Standard.
What is the Decent Home Standard?
The Decent Homes Standard is a Government target set to ensure all social housing meets an acceptable standard. This includes all the properties owned and managed by us.
To be defined as decent, a home must meet each of the following criteria:
The current statutory minimum standard for housing. Homes that fail to meet this are those containing one or more hazards assessed as serious under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
It is in a reasonable state of repair. Homes which fail this are those where either:
- one or more of the key building components are old and, because of their condition, need replacing or major repair
- two or more of the other building components are old and, because of their condition, need replacing or major repair.
It has reasonably modern facilities and services. Homes that fail to meet this criteria are those that lack three or more of the following:
- a reasonably modern kitchen (20 years old or less)
- a kitchen with adequate space and layout
- a reasonably modern bathroom (30 years old or less)
- an appropriately located bathroom and WC
- adequate insulation against external noise (where external noise is a problem)
- adequate size and layout of common areas for blocks of flats.
It provides a reasonable degree of thermal comfort. This means that your home must have both effective insulation and efficient heating.
To ensure that our properties are kept in good condition we plan an annual major improvement works programme. This includes:
- kitchen improvements
- bathroom improvements
- painting and decorating
- new heating installation and cavity wall/loft insulation
- windows and doors replacements
- solar PV
- roof replacement.
We will always let you know in advance if we plan to undertake any major maintenance work to your home and will offer you as much choice as possible.
If you have an enquiry regarding any of the improvement programmes please contact our Customer Service team who will be able to give you more information regarding your property.
Or you can sign up for a My GUHG account, which will list any programmes up and coming on your property in the next year, along with showing you your rent details, repair history and allow you to make rent